While it’s relatively simple to throw together trail mix (I like combining unsalted almonds, dried cherries and dark chocolate chips), granola is a new territory for me. Instead of whipping up my own batch (though I could probably do it!), I opt for local, homemade Hippie Chow — and now I have even greater access to it because what began as an Overland Park farmer’s market staple and then grew into a nationwide name thanks to Dean and Deluca has now come back to its Kansas City-area roots: Hippie Chow is more readily available in the Kansas City metro area via five Cosentino’s locations, eight Kansas Sampler locations, Nature’s Health Food Market and Foo’s Fabulous Custard.
Hippie Chow’s founder, Valerie Jennings, began selling her homemade granola at her local farmer’s market in Overland Park, Kansas, in May 2010. Jennings hand-makes Hippie Chow in small batches every week to keep the all-natural granola as fresh as possible. As Valerie expands her business (you go girl!), I wonder if it would be feasible to offer a granola cooking/baking class sometime in the near future — I would be one of the first to sign up! :)
I love that even as Valerie’s Hippie Chow brand grows, she stays true to her commitment to local food and continues to source at least 75 percent of Hippie Chow’s ingredients or production from local sources. Besides her commitment to local foods, Valerie is generous and eager to share the love nationwide: she is donating three bags of Hippie Chow (in her staple original, peanut butter and chocolate flavors) to give away to one lucky reader anywhere in the 50 states so he or she can taste the goodness of the Kansas City area!
Want to win some Hippie Chow? It’s easy! Simply leave a comment on this blog post and tell me why you want to try Hippie Chow. Want multiple entries? “Like” this post on Facebook and/or tweet this post via Twitter (and make sure to tell me about it in your comment) to get up to three entries in the Hippie Chow giveaway! Make sure to read the giveaway terms and conditions below to make sure you qualify. Happy snacking!
Sweepstakes Terms and Conditions
1. No purchase necessary. A purchase does not improve your chance of winning. Void where prohibited.
2. Entrant must be 18 years old as of sweepstakes start date and a legal resident of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia as of start date.
3. Sweepstakes begins Friday, January 14, 2011 at 7:00 pm CST and ends Friday, January 21, 2011, at 7:00 pm CST.
4. Each entrant selected as a potential winner must comply with all terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules, and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all such requirements. Winners will be selected by random drawing. If a potential winner cannot be contacted within fourteen (14) days after the first attempt to contact such potential winner, an alternate entrant will be selected in his or her place from all entries received.
5. Sponsor(s) is/are not responsible for lost or mutilated prizes and none will be replaced. Prize is nontransferable and must be accepted as awarded. No cash or other substitution may be made, except by Sponsor(s) in the event that the prize cannot be awarded for any reason, in which case, Sponsor(s) will award a prize of equal or greater value. All taxes, fees and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of winner.
get the kimberlyloc newsletter
Powered by Facebook Comments